Ellis is proud to announce that it's historic building at 66 Berkeley Street opened on June 26, 2017, after significant renovations to the facility. The building has been owned by Ellis since 1924 and now houses education and care programs for children ages two months through 12 years old. The Boston-based nonprofit, which celebrated its 130th anniversary in 2015, serves inner city working families with programs ranging from early education and care to afterschool and summer programs for School-Age youth and a day program for vulnerable adults.
With the renovation of the building, Ellis is able to expand its Early Education Program to support an additional 32 families and provide newly designed space for the 60 children enrolled in its School-Age Program. Announcing the grand opening, CEO Leo Delaney said, “Renovating 66 Berkeley has been an important milestone in Ellis history, capping the close of a three part capital investment in our community space here in Boston’s South End. The leadership of our Board of Directors and the support from Boston’s philanthropic community have been the keys to this project’s success.”
Ellis’ three part capital campaign began with the creation of the Ellis Children’s Park, which turned a vacant lot on Chandler Street into a playground for very young children. In the second phase, Ellis acquired and renovated an abandoned building to create a state of the art Early Education Center. With the close of the campaign and completion of renovations to their historic 66 Berkeley Street building, the agency has created an Ellis campus in the South End. The renovations were made possible through the support of CEDAC and its affiliate, Children’s Investment Fund (CIF), a $800,000 grant from the state’s Early Education and Care and Out-of-School Time (EEOST) Capital Fund, corporate partners, community foundations, and individual donors.
To see full photo galleries of the transformation of 66 Berkeley Street and our grand opening events, please click here.